Our mission and purpose is … what?
The past few weeks I’ve both seen some presentations on how to find your organizations WHY and purpose, and I have been part of such process myself in an organization.
Here’s one of my tools for creating your organizations WHY, based on +50 workshops in organizations and teams over the last years.
Step 1: Understand why you need a WHY
Get acquainted with the philosophy and psychology behind having a purpose. Here are some good places to start:
- You can (must!) study Simon Sinek’s Golden Circle and the book “Start With Why”. You can have a fast run-through of it in his TED talk
- Daniel Pink’s “DRIVE – the surprising truth about what motivates people”
- “UNBOSS” by Kolind and Bøtter
- You can read the many articles, e.g. The Imperative Index 2015, or KRIFA’s annual report on happiness at work (in Danish)
- “Why Storytelling Will Be the Biggest Business Skill of the Next 5 Years” by Shane Snow
- Or – if you want financial argumentation – read this by Financial Times: “Companies with a purpose beyond profit tend to make more money”