How do you break down the WHY into activities that support the purpose? You establish The Strategic Architecture. See my explanation in the video below.
(If you are unfamiliar with the notion of WHY, HOW and WHAT, you should watch the TED video with Simon Sinek). It fits together in The Golden Circle, by Simon Sinek:
- The HOW’s are capabilities in the organisation, e.g. customer intimacy, knowledge sharing, financial performance, operational excellence etc.
- The HOW’s can be arranged in a list or a tree-structure, hence they can support each other or be further broken down.
The same goes with the WHAT’s that support the HOW’s
- The WHAT’s are projects or actions that have concrete deliverables and a limited time-span. The WHAT’s are the things, that we do
- The WHAT’s can be arranged in a list or a tree-structure, hence they can support each other or be further broken down.
This gives us the possibility for several things, in alignment with UNBOSS:
- To ensure, that everything we do supports the purpose
- To have a transparent execution of the strategy
- To enable involvement and engagement – and that everybody can have influence on the tasks and the way we execute them